Monthly Archives: August 2012
I mentioned in my previous post that I would keep you updated on my progress with Processing and it seems I have become foul of enjoying the summer holidays too much. Nevertheless I will get an update in before the holidays end. I have progressed in learning code in Processing to create some simple applications and started to use the Kinect to interact with different applications. Here is a quick summary of what I have done using the 'Getting Started with Processing' and 'Making Things See' textbooks I mentioned in previous post.
- Learnt to create various different shapes and incorporate pictures into applications.
- Learnt the functions of variables, for loops, if statements etc (lots of coding language)
- Coded different programmes that allow these objects to move across the screen and react to key presses on the keyboard and mouse.
- Learnt to use the depth camera of the kinect to gain a better understanding of how it recognises pixels and distances to add functulility to the applications we are making.
- Incorporated the kinect in to the apps so that I can get objects to track the closest point to the Kinect ie. hand. This has led me to create a simple drawing app and a 'minority report' like application using photos.
The next step is to start learning to incorporate the skeletal tracking and 3D functions of the Kinect into applications so that they are more intuitive for the user.
If you get a chance, have a look at the wiki set up by Anthony Rhys (@trinityfieldsit) and in particular the Processing section which has link to various applications that he has created, which are available to download as PDE's to work in the Processing interface.
Also on the site are examples of some pretty amazing applications which give you an idea of what is possible with the Processing language – here is the link.
The intention of this project is have a group of like minded individuals working together to create interactive applications that can be used with the fantastic group of students we work with. So if you interested in helping us please contact us!!!